Outreach Teaching Artist
Oceanside Theater Company
Education Outreach/Arts in Schools
Youth Academy and Youth Outreach Manager
Schools throughout Vista and Oceanside; in-person
Weekdays, roughly 5-10 hours per week during after school hours between 3pm-7pm.
There is an opportunity for increased hours as the program grows.
The Teaching Artist is a collaborative position that requires a results-oriented, independent thinker who values arts education, inclusive programming, and community engagement.
The Teaching Artist will be responsible for the implementation of after-school arts education programming and community outreach initiatives, including, but not limited to: theatre classes, performance workshops, education-based outreach events for youth, programming for the neuro-atypical community and children with a range of learning abilities, and professional development workshops for educators.
The Teaching Artist has experience and an appreciation for working alongside youth with diverse life experiences/backgrounds, as well as individuals living with disabilities, and uses these experiences to assist Oceanside Theater Company in reaching the overall goal of providing access to high-quality arts education.
The duties of the Outreach Teaching Artist include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Teach assigned curriculum
- Foster supportive, creative, and brave space that allows participants to be themselves
- Support mental and physical well-being of participants
- Collaborate with other teaching artists as necessary
- Keep track of schedules and pacing
- Arrive punctually and fully prepared
- Attend all trainings when assigned
- Communicate with Education Outreach Manager frequently
- Notify Education Outreach Manager of any conflicts or concerns
- Value individual learning styles and uphold equity through culturally responsive pedagogy and social justice dimensions of artistic work
- Represent Oceanside Theatre Company in a professional and positive manner
- Communicate professionally with school sites
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Youth Academy and Youth Outreach Manager, Genevieve Koesling at:
Oceanside Theater Company is an equal opportunity employer and seeks workforce diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.
- A passion for inspiring young minds!
- Experience teaching grades TK-5
- Strong classroom leadership skills
- Commitment to culturally responsive teaching in the classroom
- Excellent communication skills
- Active problem-solving skills, flexibility, and creativity
- Ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision
- Driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Experience or college degree in a related field (theatre, education, special education, child development, etc.)
- Bilingual a plus, but not required
- Improv background